1. "Bad" (Jackson) – 4:06
2. "The Way You Make Me Feel" (Jackson) – 4.58
3. "Speed Demon" (Jackson) – 4:01
4. "Liberian Girl" (Jackson) – 3:53
5. "Just Good Friends" (Duet with Jackson and Stevie Wonder) (Britten/Lyle) – 4:05
6. "Another Part of Me" (Jackson) – 3:53
7. "Man in the Mirror" (Ballard/Garrett) – 5:18
8. "I Just Can't Stop Loving You" (Duet with Jackson and Siedah Garrett) (Jackson) – 4:13
* The LP version includes a spoken intro omitted in the CD version
9. "Dirty Diana" (Jackson) – 4:40
10. "Smooth Criminal" (Jackson) – 4:16
11. "Leave Me Alone" (Jackson) – 4:37
Bad is an album of recorded music by pop music icon Michael Jackson, released in 1987. After the monumental success of Thriller, Jackson and co-producer/collaborator Quincy Jones produced a slicker funk/pop confection. Bad achieved 8x platinum status in the United States, and has sold an estimated 32 million copies worldwide. Jackson set another record with this album, becoming the first (and currently, only) artist to have five songs to hit #1 from one album. In July 2006, it was announced by the The Official UK Charts Company that Bad was the ninth biggest selling album in British history. It turned out to be the last collaborative effort by Jackson and Jones, as Jackson moved on to write and produce more of his own records. The album was supported by an international tour that entertained over 4.4 million fans. The tour grossed in over 125 million USD.
Jackson originally wanted the album to be a multiple-disc set with 30 tracks in all. However, Quincy Jones cut it down to 10 tracks and made it a single-disc LP. The CD release contained an extra track, "Leave Me Alone". In one of the interviews with Quincy Jones - which appeared on the special edition of Bad - Quincy said that he wanted to make Bad with Prince, Quincy set up a meeting with Michael Jackson and Prince, but Prince finally said that Bad would be a hit without him. There have been numerous rumours that Jackson will release his multi-disc version of the album sometime in the future.
Known outtakes from Bad:
* "Streetwalker" (included on Special Edition, see below)
* "Fly Away" (included on Special Edition, see below)
* "Cheater"' (later appeared on The Ultimate Collection)
* "Al Capone" (unshared snippet)
* "Buffalo Bill"
* "We Are Here to Change the World" (from Captain EO, and later appeared on The Ultimate Collection)
* "Bumper Snippet"
* "Chicago 1945" (later became "Smooth Criminal")
* "Crack Kills" (with Run DMC)
* "Groove of Midnight"
* "Hot Fever" (later became "The Way You Make Me Feel")
* "The Price of Fame"
There are over 30 songs actually recorded for Bad.
Chart Information & Sales
Highest Chart Position: UK #1 USA #1
Current Sales Award: UK 13 times Platinum USA 8 times Platinum
Current Sales Figure: Over 4.2 million sold Over 8 million sold
Latest Official World Sales Figure: 25 million (as of mid 1996).
Current Best Estimate World Sales: 29 million (includes new special edition sales).
26,33,34,36,37,42,42,48,49,40,31,30,35,37,37,38,47,50,57,59,62,out 1 wk,75,(out till 8/8/92),14,17,21,27,41,73, (out till
27/10/01),53,70,(out till 28/9/02),56,(out till 15/2/03),73,out 2 wks,68,38,50,(out till 18/1/04),75,61,66,out
USA R&B chart (top 100): #3,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,2,1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,3,4,3,2,2,2,1,1,1,4,4,6,6,7,10,10,12,15,14,16,16, 19,23,29,34,38,38,41,39,38,35,42,46,57,60,66,65,66,68,68,59,56,53,54,54,51,55, 60,59,62,70,83,86,out
Other Countries sales figures:
A Special Edition of the album was released in November 2001, featuring three previously unreleased songs and spoken word material. The songs were:
- "Streetwalker" (previously unreleased)
- "Todo Mi Amor Eres Tu (I Just Can't Stop Loving You - Spanish Version)" (previously unreleased in the U.S.)
- "Fly Away" (previously unreleased)
The spoken word material appears interspersed between the bonus unreleased songs and features an interview with Quincy Jones about the recording and making of the album. The album also includes a new 20-page booklet with lyrics plus rare and unreleased photos not part of the original release.